Policy 10.5 – Internet Web Privacy
- Information Collected and Stored Automatically
NRECA automatically collects and stores anonymous information about site visitors to enable us to make the NRECA website more useful and improve the overall quality of the visitor’s online experience. Anonymous information refers to data that cannot be tied back to a specific individual. NRECA may collect the following anonymous information from you every time you access the NRECA website:
- Internet domain from which you access our website (e.g. aol.com, yourschool.edu, yourcompany.com)
- IP address. An IP address is automatically assigned to your computer or mobile device when you surf the web. In some cases, these addresses may be individually or regionally identifiable. However, even when an IP address is identifiable, it usually takes additional effort to link a particular IP address to a specific individual. For many users, an IP address cannot be linked to a specific individual.
- Type of browser and operating system used to access our website
- Date and time of access
- Pages visited
- Address of the website (if any) from which you linked to NRECA
Web logs may also be automatically created and used to identify visitors who seek to damage the website, use the website in unauthorized ways, or interfere with operations. Information about users who try to engage in any unapproved activities may be shared with law enforcement agencies. NRECA does not collect any personal information about a routine visitor unless the visitor provides information to NRECA.
- Personal Information Collection and Use
You do not have to provide any personally identifiable information to visit this website; however, if you use the NRECA website to send NRECA an e-mail, subscribe to a newsletter or e-mail alert, ask for information, or if you provide personally identifiable information through NRECA’s website in any other way, NRECA collects and may maintain the information that you provide. Personally identifiable information refers to data that tells us specifically who you are (e.g. your name, address, social security number, credit card number, e-mail, electric service characteristics, dispute with NRECA member, etc.). In the situations described above, your personally identifiable information may be shared among NRECA staff, NRECA members, and support services as we deem necessary. Once information reaches the correct office, it will be used in the same manner as comparable information collected in other ways. In no event will NRECA sell, rent or lease your personally identifiable information to any third parties.
- Linking to other sites
From time to time, the NRECA website may provide links to other websites, not owned or controlled by NRECA, that we think might be useful or of interest to you. We cannot, however, be responsible for the privacy practices used by other website owners or the content or accuracy of those other websites. Links to various non-NRECA websites do not constitute or imply endorsement of NRECA of these websites, any products or services described on these sites, or of any other material contained in them.
- Security and Data Quality
- NRECA maintains its website and its information with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper disclosure. NRECA is committed to maintaining accurate, timely, relevant, and appropriate information about our users. No computer or mobile operating system can ever be fully protected against every possible hazard. NRECA provides reasonable and appropriate security to protect against foreseeable hazards.
- Please note that your e-mail, like most, if not all,non-encrypted Internet e-mail communications, may be accessed and viewed by other Internet users, without your knowledge or permission, while in transit to us. For that reason, to protect your privacy, please do not use e-mail to communicate information to us that you consider confidential. There are some NRECA websites where we have made special provisions for a more secure environment in which we can exchange information with you.
- “Phishing” is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. NRECA will never request your passwords, user names, credit card information or other personally identifiable information through e-mail.
Note that if you set your preferences so your device does not receive cookies, certain features of the NRECA website cannot be provided to you, and you may not be able to take full advantage of all the NRECA website content.
- Uses and Disclosures
- NRECA uses its website to provide services and information to its members, employees, and members of the public.
We may share information we collect on our website with companies that provide support services to us (such as auditors, web hosting providers, or call center service providers). These companies may need this information in order to perform their functions. NRECA generally directs recipients to agree to safeguard personal information, to use it only as authorized by NRECA, and to return it or destroy it when no longer required.
- Legal Process
NRECA could be required to disclose personal information in response to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order. Any record keeper faces this possibility. Disclosures may also be appropriate to protect NRECA’s legal rights or during emergencies if physical safety is believed to be at risk. NRECA believes that these events are unlikely, but they are possible. NRECA will take reasonable steps to limit the scope and consequences of any of these disclosures.
- Recruiting Services
Web users can search and apply online for employment opportunities with NRECA and its member cooperatives. If you complete a job application online, provide a resume, or disclose other personal information for a recruitment activity, the NRECA Human Resources Department will use your information in the same manner as if you applied by regular mail or in person. The information will only be used for recruiting and employment purposes. It is possible that information about you or about your application will be shared externally to verify the information, to obtain references, or for other employment-related purposes. When appropriate, application information will be shared with a member cooperative that advertised a vacancy. Each member cooperative has independent policies and practices for the use and disclosure of employment applications.
- NRECA’s Advocacy Webpage
You may voluntarily sign up to receive various NRECA newsletters, updates or alerts, and other such communications, directly or indirectly, from NRECA staff. By electing to receive any NRECA communication, you understand that your information will be retained by NRECA and may be added to our contact database. Based upon your election, NRECA may contact you directly concerning other publications or events that may be useful to you. Note that as a recipient of any NRECA-generated communications, you may unsubscribe from future messages via a link at the bottom of each email message or by calling 1-866-751-1238 to be removed from our contact list.NRECA does not sell, rent, or otherwise share lists of subscribers to NRECA publications, online newsstand services, or list servers.
NRECA may sponsor chat services for member cooperatives and their employees. Information shared through a chat service may be read by subscribers to the service and may be used or re-disclosed by them. NRECA cannot control or limit the use or disclosure of any personal information shared through a chat service.
- Changes to this policy
- Children and Privacy
NRECA is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and encourages parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. NRECA’s websites do not target and are not intended to attract children under the age of 13. NRECA does not knowingly solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 nor send them requests for personal information.
- Questions, Access, and Disputes